Technical Unit for Sustainable Development and Agro-industrial innovation
One of ENEA’s important objectives is to operate for the development and innovation of the national agro-industrial production system. The aim is to obtain food products using competitive, sustainable, and energy-efficient processes.
The focus is on the made-in-Italy agro-food, applying cross-disciplinary skills to the productive chain, and employing advanced facilities, technology platforms, and related service structures.
Laboratories and coordination activities
- Research, development, and technology transfer in the areas of genomics, metabolomics, cytogenomics of plants of agricultural interest, of microalgal and microbial biotechnology, and of metabolic and protein engineering;
- Research, development, and technology transfer in the areas of microbial biodiversity, of traditional and in vitro plant breeding aimed at obtaining new plant varieties, and of biotic and abiotic stress control.
- Research, development, and technology transfer of innovative and integrated tools for the analysis, protection, improvement, and sustainable management of agricultural ecosystems;
- Analysis of the impacts of energy production systems on agro-ecosystems and local biodiversity;
- Development of approaches to favor the adaptation of agro-food plants and vulnerable ecosystems to environmental and climate changes;Promotion of measures for the sustainable use of agro-ecosystems and biodiversity.
- Development of Methods and Reference Materials (RM) for quality of chemical and biological measurements and certification of processes and products.
- Research, development, and transfer of processing technologies and innovative diagnostic methods aimed at improving food quality and safety;
- Research and development of new raw materials, ingredients, and foodstuff in the area of "functional foods";
- Research, development, and transfer of technologies and methodologies for the characterization, extraction, and purification of molecules of nutritional and industrial interest from plant and agro-industrial residues.